Common knowledge says that in order to lose weight, you have to eat less. While there is truth to it, you really have to identify the foods you have to cut back on. Alternately, there are foods that you have to add in your diet; foods that will help you lose weight.
1. Oatmeal – Rich in fiber; helps you feel full for long periods of time without eating and keeps your energy level high at the same time. Oatmeal is best eaten one to two hours before your weight loss workout because of the blast of energy it provides. Eat natural, plain or steel-cut oatmeal and not the flavored ones that contain loads of sugar.
2. Apples – “An apple a day keeps the doctor away,” is the old adage, but did you know that it also helps you lose weight? Apple contains pectin, a complex carbohydrate that naturally suppresses appetite. People who eat an apple before each meal lose 33% more weight than people who don’t. And by the way, apples also prevent your body from absorbing too much fat while the pectin causes your body to release fat – a one-two punch if you must.
3. Water – Technically, this is not food, but you got to admit, if you are filled up, you feel hungry less often. Not only does water make a good appetite suppressant, it is also has drastic impact on cholesterol that helps you slim down faster. And drinking at least a glass of water before starting your meal will make you to eat less.4. Spices – Chili peppers, cayenne peppers, jalapeno peppers or hot mustard, when added to your foods, increase your fat burning metabolism by as much as 20% for as long as 3 hours after eating. Garlic, a strong diuretic, helps you flush out excess water weight.
5. Avocados – They are not only made for guacamoles, they are also good in preventing weight gain because avocados contain sugar called mannoheptulose that helps lower insulin level.
6. Protein rich foods – Whey protein, organic beef, egg protein shake, lean chicken breast, turkey and other foods rich in protein help you build muscles, which in turn, burn more calories.
7. Dairy products – People who consume low-fat dairy products 3-4 times a day lose 70% more fat than people on a low-dairy diet. Scientists believe that calcium suppresses calcitriol, a hormone responsible in making fat cells bigger.